Thursday, September 6, 2007

Such a contradiction

Ok, I've grown up in church all my life, and I'm having a really hard time with some of this stuff. I had no idea the Bible was so contradictory. I mean, you hear one thing in Sunday school, but when you really start looking at the text, especially within the confines of this class, you see that there are all sorts of discrepancies and, frankly, weird things that I never even knew about. Like the passage we discussed at the end of class on Wednesday - Exodus 4:24-26. Why in the world would God want to kill Moses? And like Joey brought up, since he is all-knowing, would he not have known that it was Moses that he had come upon, even if it was dark?

And with the story of Lot: I realize that he was trying to protect the angels/visitors that were in his home, but he offered those rapists his two virgin daughters and said "do what you will with them." What is that? That doesn't seem like righteous or worthy behavior.

Does anyone have any possible explanations to these questions?