Friday, September 7, 2007

~ Christianity, Islam & Hinduism ~

I was impressed by the presentation focusing the similarities in Islam and Christianity. I had a strange conversation with my Muslim room-mate couple of days ago. We shared the similarities of Islam and Christianity leading to a debate as to which out of the two is a better expression of faith, truth, and God. We were discussing about the religious ceremonies followed by people of different religion. There are 330 million Gods and Goddesses (popular as deity) in Hinduism. He argued that God is just one and that 'Allah' is the ONLY God. He added that, "God forbid if I were a Christian..." He almost sounded that it was shameful to be a non-Muslim. He tried to correct himself by saying that he's happy that he is not a Christian. My question to him was, "Who told that Christians are unhappy?" The conversation took me to class where we've spoken how Bible as a religious text is read. This also is made me think of the power and impact of a book. The standards people draw from these texts and impose them on to others. It is like each one is a prophet himself/herself and one must believe it as the UTMOST truth. Strange, isn't it ??!