Friday, September 14, 2007

Ruth

I also agree. It does seem like Ruth is somewhat assertive to be a female figure in the Bible. Also, one thing I found interesting is that when Boaz is speaking to the "next-of-kin," there is mention of a strange custom I had never heard of.

"Now it used to be the custom when ratifying any transaction by which property was redeemed or transferred for a man to take off his sandal and give it to the other party; this was the form of attestation in Israel. Accordingly when the next-of-kin said to Boaz, 'you must take it over,' he drew off his sandal and handed it over." (verses 7-9)

I have never seen this anywhere else in the Bible. However, it could be a common practice mentioned, and I've just never noticed. I am curious to find out if there is any historical truth to this custom, and if it is mentioned anywhere else in the Bible.