Friday, September 7, 2007

Interesting Documentary

here are some clips from the movie Zeitgeist that Dave mentioned in class last friday i believe. This is the first section, the later sections go on to material outside the scope of this class, but the first part you guys should find interesting. Oh, and I'll add some commentary below each section, because a few of the narrators claims, i believe, are not entirely factual, or are highly speculative.



The Egyptian god Set was not always the enemy of Horus, and I think he is confusing the Ra-Apep battle causing night and day, but as convoluted as Egyptian mythology is, it could just be a story I haven't read yet.
There is little Egyptological evidence confirming Horus' virgin birth or 12 disciples. I've also never seen or heard him referred to as the lamb of god outside of this film. Horus birthday is usually given between Dec 21st and 25th.
Mithra was born out of a rock in adult form. I suppose technically the rock was a virgin... I would hope at least.



His arguments about the different Ages are pretty interesting, but i don't think "symbology" is a word. I also believe he overstates some of the similarities between Egyptian and Judeo-Christian theologies.



There is still debate as to the reliability of the Jocephus texts, but I don't think it is considered an outright forgery. And there was a historic "Ye'shua," from Nazareth, why it was translated into Jesus instead of the traditional Joshua is a mystery to me. However, how much of this man's life is accurately represented in the Bible is a question that people will probably argue over forever. In my opinion, some people probably attached myths to the historical figure.

Hope you guys found this interesting.

I enjoyed the videos joey posted... oh those fundamentalists... they do entertain me though...

Noah