Tuesday, September 4, 2007

random responses

I wish we could respond directly to each other's posts!

In response to Nancy's post about Enoch, Genesis 5:24 notes that "Enoch walked with God, and then was seen no more, because God had taken him away." (This was a popular Sunday school question: "Who was the only man in the Bible who never died?") His genealogy confuses me, though. In Genesis 4, his father is Cain, and his son is Irad. In Genesis 5, his father is Jared and his son is Methuselah. Shouldn't someone have caught that during the early editing process? It seems as though the different narratives are sloppily thrown together, as there are discrepancies between consecutive chapters.

In response to Jennifer's rant, I, too, am sickened by people who rip a Biblical passage out of context and spin it to mean what they want.... while completely ignoring the whole body of Scripture (After I left the CoC [you're right, Jennifer... it wasn't formed until the early 19th century], I was told by many people that I would go straight to hell because the church I now attend has a keyboard. Come on!) I think that people who call themselves Christians use Scriptures out of the context of God's love to condemn another group of people because it makes them feel holy and superior. ("You have no defence, then, whoever you may be, when you sit in judgement - for in judging others you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, are equally guilty" - Romans 2:1)

And, I didn't get the e-mail with the article!

a.b.k.r.