Thursday, September 6, 2007

In response to Karen's "On Satan and the serpent"

I remember looking all through the story about Adam, Eve, and the snake after someone brought up in class that Satan is never mentioned in this story. I re-checked the story because I felt betrayed because I've thought all my life that the snake was Satan. So I started thinking, "Well why on earth have I been told the snake was Satan when it doesn't mention that fact in the actual story?" I started researching and I found this:

(From our text) Revalation 12:9 - "The great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent that led the whole world astray, whose name is the Devil, or Satan; he was thrown down to earth, and his angels with him. "

So the Bible does refer to the serpent that tempted Eve as Satan, just not in Genesis.