Monday, November 26, 2007

Troubled Isn't the Word

"I want to see [Christian children] as radically laying down their lives for the gospel as they are over in Pakistan in Israel in Palestine."

She actually said that.

Concerning the Church of Christ worshipping sans instruments: they base their belief on the fact that there is no mention of them in the New Testament. They take it a step further by claiming that Colossians 3:16 and Ephesians 5:19 are commandments to sing, and to do more than that would be "adding" to the "word of God." Very strange, indeed. I have been a staff member in some capacity at a Church of Christ since 1998, and it's never made any sense to me. I don't have any problem with a capella music--in fact, I love it--but I do have a major problem with someone telling other people they're going to hell because they use instruments. That's ludicrous.

For study's sake: there is a lot evidence that instruments were not a part of Christian worship for hundreds of years. The phrase "a capella" is Latin for "as in chapel." As I recall, the phrase gained prominence as a musical instruction during the Renaissance. When composers desire their work to be done with voices only they instructed performers to relay the work like the music in their churches: without instruments. That much I understand, but that hardly makes sense as a spiritual directive with salvation implications.