Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Music in the Church

That video that Grace posted has got me thinking. (By the way, it is totally hilarious! My favorite part is when the crowd does the backwards "wave" by falling into their seats.) Music is such a big part of the way I study and write that I have several playlists that I use to get motivated. This music is in the background when I type journal entries, work on presentations and blog. As this semester has progressed, my biblical list has grown into about fifteen songs. My tastes are eclectic, ranging from old school folk ballads and gospel to more hip-hop and rock flavored stuff. Also, while I was researching Kabbalah I found all kinds of instrumental music I liked and eventually added to my playlist.

And that brings me to this question: What denominations rule out using musical instruments during worship and why? Also, can these instruments be used in instances that are not worship-driven, or is it all the devil's music? I do know that the Bible never comes right out and says that guitars and tambourines are bad, and singing is pretty much universally accepted.

Historically, musical instruments were a huge part of pagan celebrations. So I'm thinking that is part of the puzzle, but there has to be more. Anybody feel like explaining it to me?