Tuesday, August 28, 2007

sunday school vs. lit class

In all our classroom discussions so far, it's been a challenge for me to separate the Bible as a literary text from the Bible I learned about in Sunday school. (This wouldn't be so hard if the two weren't often so dissimilar.) When I re-read the creation stories in Genesis, I struggled to keep my mind clear of the big cardboard numbers of the different days of creation with corresponding cut-outs of stars and elephants and Adam and Eve with strategically-placed fig leaves. When I did, I was able to see (and argue with my husband about) the overwhelming differences between the two creation stories. How did I miss this? Why was I never taught the differences? Are Christians afraid to question the Bible for fear that it will fail us?

I agree with Karen that the church is nothing without the Bible, or so it claims. (I think the typical American Protestant church would be in a greater state of crisis without dresses and ties and casseroles than it would be without the Bible.)

I'm not very far along in the Enoch story yet (Ch. 15) but it seems to provide an "explanation" for Genesis 6:4 "In those days as well as later, when the sons of the gods had intercourse with the daughters of mortals and children were born to them, the Nephilim were on the earth; they were the heroes of old, people of renown." What??? In my church experience (it doesn't look like I can keep them separate!), this verse has either been completely ignored or something along the lines of "Ah, the mysteries of God..." has been used to explain it. I'm excited to hear what the class thinks about this and the book of Enoch tomorrow.

a.b.k.r.