Thursday, August 30, 2007

on Enoch

I spent quite a bit of time in grad school working on medieval drama. My dissertation director Sarah Beckwith was, at that time, writing a book on the York cycle plays. But we read the Chester and N-town plays also. These plays usually begin with the play of Adam and Eve, do the Noah story, do the Moses story, etc--all the Bible's highpoints. One of the cycles (I don't remember exactly which one) includes the Enoch play. He is zapped up into heaven without dying. that is what I remember most about Enoch. Also in my research for my last article on John Mirk's sermons, Mirk talks about this same thing--Enoch rising bodily into heaven. I will have to find this (right now, my study is a huge mess because we are painting and getting new flooring). I suppose that this bodily ascension is somewhere in Enoch. I've read almost 20 chps. so far.

nancy