Thursday, October 4, 2007

~ Proverbs discussed in class ~

I was goin through the proverbs we discussed in class and a particular sprang up @ me:

Folly is deep-rooted in the hearts of children; a good beating will drive it out of them.
(22:15 ~ Page 673)

So, who has deep rooted this 'folly' in the hearts of children ? God as the creator I guess?!! Then why the blame the children?? Besides the meaning of folly has been changed from 'Perilously or criminally foolish action, Evil; wickedness, Lewdness; lasciviousness' to 'A lack of good sense, understanding, or foresight; An act or instance of foolishness'. What is the modern reader supposed to interpret?! I'm studying this text so I took the trouble to find all definitions of 'folly' but I doubt an ordinary church-goer will find obsolete meanings on the OED!! He would rather bash his child up for lacking understanding. Moreover, it seems to encourage corporal punishment towards children rather than the non-corporal way!! I thought a child was associated with innocence. All my heart out to those unlucky children!!